Admin And Production Jobs
Florida Repertory Theatre is seeking a Costume Shop Manager for its current season. “Florida Repertory Theatre is a fully professional theatre company serving all of Southwest Florida, and is now entering its third decade as an ensemble-based, artist-driven organization with an annual operating budget of approximately $4 million. Florida Rep operates on a LOA/LORT D contract with Actors Equity and works with members of both United Scenic Artists and the Society of Stage Directors & Choreographers. Performing in the Historic Arcade Theatre (a 393-seat proscenium house) and the newly renovated ArtStage Studio (a 120-seat adaptable black box), Florida Rep produces a wide variety of comedies, dramas, and musicals, and brings more than 87,000 people to the Fort Myers River District annually throughout its September to May season. In addition to its work onstage, Florida Rep operates very active Education & Outreach Department that reaches more than 31,000 young people annually.” The Costume Shop Manager is expected to be available to work weekends and evenings when needed, as well as present at all Technical Rehearsals. He or she will lead a team of 3 Costume Interns and an Assistant Shop Supervisor in producing costumes for all 9 Mainstage Productions, 5 Education Productions, and Florida Rep’s annual Gala. Working through the summer with the Education Department’s 4 summer camp shows is also an option. The Costume Shop Manager is expected to be able to collaborate with guest designers, directors, choreographers, and other technical departments on the costume designs for all major productions. He or she will also manage all costume builds, pulls, purchases, fittings, and alterations for all productions. Interested Applicants should send a resume and cover letter to our Production Manager Tim Billman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Serve as head of the Costume Department and be responsible for all functions of the costume department.
- Supervise the purchase, pulling and construction of all costumes and costume-related items.
- Manage the costume stock and costume technology inventory.
- Supervise and mentor all members of the costume staff with particular focus on Costume Interns in both the Shop and backstage.
- Work professionally with the production manager and director during all stages of the design and implementation process.
- Attend technical rehearsals; actively problem-solve throughout.
- Oversee the regular cleaning and repair of costumes and equipment.
- Provide rehearsal costume pieces as needed.
- Provide costume pieces as needed for photo calls.
- Work with the facility manager to optimize space, safety, and performance in the theatre.
- Seek out opportunities for professional development in theatre technology.
- Provide regular feedback to the production manager regarding the performance level of all staff under your supervision.
- Actively participate in production meetings, design meetings, and other meetings.
- Participate in the development of show and season budgets.
- Maintain show and season budgets.
- Provide leadership and professional mentoring to interns and volunteers, including the development and presentation of workshops.
- Communicate regularly with the production manager regarding all responsibilities.
- Complete assignments, projects, and paperwork in a timely manner.
- Maintain a professional demeanor in appearance, communication, and attitude.
- Perform other related duties and assignments, as necessary.
- 3-5 Years Professional Experience as a Cutter/Draper or First-Hand
- 2-3 Years Professional Experience as a Wardrobe Supervisor
- Professional Experience in Supervising a Costume Shop, as Manager or Assistant
- Experience working with both Dropbox and Google Drive, as well as Microsoft Office
- Extensive knowledge of costume history, construction techniques, and fabrics required
- Knowledge of sewing machine use and maintenance for a variety of sewing machines and sergers
- Budgetary Experience is required
- Strong verbal and written communication, quantitative, organizational, and management skills required
- Flexible, focused, and well-organized team player is a must
- Ability to work quickly and accurately
- Must have the ability to occasionally lift 50 pounds
- Wig Experience is a plus, but not required
- Must have a valid Driver’s License and Car